The Importance of Hearing Aids
***** On 15th February 2017 Action on Hearing Loss asked me to answer some questions about my experiences of hearing loss on BBC Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour. Following this I was asked if I would allow Action on Hearing Loss to quote from this blog post in a presentation designed to help people understand hearing loss. I am really pleased that I seem to be on the right track. *****
- How far did you get?
- If you gave up part way through could you explain why?
- How do you feel?
- Were you able to read at your normal pace?
- Would you like all your reading matter to be like this?
- If the answers to 3 and 4 were, “No,” would you welcome help to overcome these problems?
- For your convenience the full text of this article with all the gaps filled in is printed below or can be seen here: https://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/community/blogs/our-guest-blog/the-importance-of-hearing-aids.aspx
- During conversation people with hearing loss rely on their hearing aids to help fill in the gaps.
- Without hearing aids whilst the brain struggles to decipher words orally the conversation may be moving on resulting in further gaps in comprehension. Eventually the effort becomes too great and many are reduced to smiling and nodding - or, worse, total withdrawal. Isolation.