Sunday 22 January 2017

Finally I seek Help

Support Doc 7

Visit to Consultant (Ear, nose and throat) 29.08.2006 

Notes (unedited) I made before my first visit to ENT Dept about hearing in 2006
  • I am finally admitting that I have a hearing problem, which I need help to overcome.
  • Feel hearing has never been as good as it could have been. 
  • Problems:
    • ‘tinnitus’ (jungle insect buzz) noticed since taking aspirin before long haul flight a few years ago (5 or 6)  Constant but more noticeable in evening when watching TV.
    • For years have often asked what has been said – thought I was not paying proper attention – knitting, sewing etc.
    • Now use subtitles on TV Some actors I can hear well – others are a nightmare.
    • Have always had more problems with conversation in noisy background.
    • Problems with hearing speakers in meetings – hopeless if they have a beard!
    • Often ‘mishear’ words and eventually ‘work out’ meaning – not always successfully!
    • Hopeless with people in different room calling to me – can hear them call but not what they say. 
      • Increasing lack of awareness of people directing speech to me.
    • Waiting rooms a nightmare – especially in crowded, open spaces where there is background noise and staff designated to ‘call’ people for appointments have difficulty making themselves heard. – also voices over intercoms often so indistinct I cannot recognise my name being called much of the time.
    • Cannot hear digital alarms on: 
      • clocks (when I am asleep), 
      • cooker when I am not in the kitchen.
    • Can hear the microwave in our bedroom – providing there is no other noise in the house.
  • Bomb blast nearby when a baby in London during the war.
  • Ear infections in Gibraltar – cried with pain – M O put penicillin powder onto cotton wool and put in ear.  
  • Had hearing tested in 1992 – see audiogram overleaf.
  • Put off having a hearing aid – 
    • Mother had problems with hers whistling. 
    • Like spectacles, felt I would be too reliant on one so tried to manage without
    • Less socially acceptable than spectacles.
  • Husband feels hearing is getting progressively worse.
  • Hoping to gain benefit from small digital aid.

If, like spectacles, hearing aids had been developed into attractive fashion accessories I might have been more eager to seek help sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome