Thursday 15 June 2017

Action on Hearing Loss Passion in Action Award

Out of the Blue.

Nothing quite prepared me for this.  



https://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/news-and-events/midlands.aspx

My Response

Thank you so much for this award.


Passion in Action conjures up some interesting pictures in the mind. One of them, for me, is Action on Hearing Loss’s passionate approach to fighting for services for those of us who are aurally challenged. My own passion has been fuelled by yours and the anger I felt when your wonderful campaign in N Staffs was ignored by the CCG. Mark Shapley, the clinical chair, told me he wanted N Staffs to be a trailblazer. Winning this award has increased my determination to continue to help Action on Hearing Loss ensure that his dream does not come true and that hearing aids will be available on the NHS for all who need them.

Thank you


Extended Version of my Response


Thank you.  I am still reeling from the news that I have won this award. Although it is my name on the award I feel I have so many people to thank for giving me the opportunity to get involved with the amazing work that Action on Hearing Loss https://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/ does for those of us who are aurally challenged.

Thank you Action on Hearing Loss for:
  • The email asking me to  fill in a survey when N Staffs CCG first threatened to stop providing hearing aids to people with mild hearing loss and many with moderate hearing loss.
  • The follow-up email asking me if I would allow the comment I had made at the end of the survey to be used in Action on Hearing Loss’s Appeal document that was to form part of the campaign against the proposal.  https://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/~/media/Documents/Campaigns/Hearing%20aid%20cuts/Action_on_Hearing_Loss_North_Staffordshire_CCG_Appeal_full_version.ashx
  • The third email giving me the opportunity to attend a peaceful demonstration and CCG board meeting in public at N Staffs.  
  • The opportunity to speak with the clinical chair who fuelled my anger over his intransigence concerning his own opinion and refusal to listen to any of the arguments in favour of early treatment of hearing loss.
  • Inviting me to write letters to him and others such as NHS England.  Sadly these remained unacknowledged - as did all the hard work by Action on Hearing Loss - and N Staffs CCG went ahead with their proposal to limit hearing aid provision.
  • Inviting me to be interviewed on radio about my experiences as a hearing aid wearer.
  • Asking me to write a blogpost about the importance of hearing aids for your website.
  • Following me on Twitter and keeping me up to date by telling me which CCGs were threatening to limit provision of hearing aids.
This succession of events encouraged me to:
  • Set up my own blog - bliss2hear.blogspot.com/ and publish my campaign letters which I have now made open.
  • Regularly attend my local CCG Governing Body meetings in public.
  • Fill in the usual ‘pass the buck’ survey when the fight came closer to home in Worcestershire and write a covering letter in support of hearing aid provision.
  • Adapt my original blogpost by removing all the letters that make the sounds that those with so called mild hearing loss have problems hearing to try and raise awareness of how it impacts on life.

    • I sent this to all 3 Worcestershire CCGs.  
    • I published it on my blog - with links to Action on Hearing Loss included -  handed out copies at PPG meetings and started carrying copies around with me to give out as situations seemed appropriate.
    • Many people - including medical people - told have told me they were quite shocked to find out what was actually meant by so called mild hearing loss.
    • When Action on Hearing Loss asked if they could quote from it it gave me the courage to distribute it more widely.
    • When Milton Keynes and Enfield CCGs put adult hearing services on their ‘hit lists’ I felt I had to step things up again.  The Twitter Account I had begun and used when we were fighting N Staffs became my main vehicle for getting information to them and the wider public.
    • Publishing links to my blog articles on Twitter and Facebook groups for the deaf has increased the view count dramatically and I hope enlightened many people about ‘mild’ hearing loss in particular - as that is the group that is most at risk of being denied help.

Because of the work Action on Hearing Loss does I am passionate about raising awareness of what it means to have hearing loss and campaigning for the retention of hearing aid provision for all who seek help with their hearing.  My husband tells people that I am obsessed.  However, I could not do what I do without his loyal and long suffering help and support.  We tend to be a double act.  He says he is the ears and I am the mouth.  My hearing aids have transformed his life as well as mine.

Thank you so much, Action on Hearing Loss.  Had it not been for the snowballing effect beginning with your emails I would not be standing here today as the very proud but humble winner of this most unexpected award.

Kathleen Hill
Action on Hearing Loss https://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/ (Formerly RNID) Volunteer
Member of Wyre Forest Patient Participation Groups (PPGs)
Member of NHS Wyre Forest CCG Membership Scheme
Twitter @kathleenlhill   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome